Advertisements

Teachable Moments

Today’s outing –

Dad and I went to our local big box hardware store (again) for a handful of helically wrapped inclined planes with #2 Phillips heads, a basin wrench, and some packing tape. We also needed air filters, but we forgot those.

As we were standing in the hardware aisle picking the correct size we are approached from the right. A couple stops next to us and begins their own conversation about MY Gear! Dad adjusts his perspective and greets them.

They say, “Oh, Hi! We were just looking at your dog’s collar, wondering if that would work for us.” Dad wasn’t sure what they were into, so…maybe? (As a dog I don’t get that joke, ut Dad says it’s funny.) The couple went on to explain that they also have a Dane, now it’s a little more clear, and they were amazed at how well we work together. Their Dane is a pet and pulls a lot during walks. We demonstrated the loose lead and correction collar, but asked that they look into a wide band ‘gentle leader’ instead. Dad explained the differences and why a gentle leader is better for their issue, while he also explained how we use ours, and that for us, verbal communication and the jingle of the correction collar works for us. He explained to them that this collar was not a “choke collar” or to be used to control the dog by tightening when she pulled!

Dad was very clear that he only wanted a gentle lead for their girl. We were about to offer to get my leader from the truck and demonstrate that as well, but they seemed clear on the difference and eager to look into it.

The couple asked how old I was. We told them I was three years old. They shared that their girl was roughly the same age, and mentioned again how gentle I was. We encouraged them that they can help their dog not to pull, they just need to let her know what they want, and don’t let her out smart them. Dad said, early – often – short sessions with rewards and in no time she will be at your hip too.

I don’t know why, but we didn’t give them a ‘Casper Card’. We probably could have been a good resource to answer questions, or at least a play-date. I guess Dad was distracted by all the tools and man toys.  But man, I would love a new Dane friend!!!!

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Teachable Moments

1. Sheila March 29, 2016 at 7:11 pm Reply

It is so nice that people notice how obedient you are, Casper. They know a good fella when they see one. Hopefully one day, maybe not that girl, but another one will come along to be your play date. You and your Dad are such a good team and it would be nice for you, Casper to have a nice girl just like your Dad’s :-).. I love your comment about being in a store that has a pet aisle with distractions, :-)/

2. blu March 25, 2016 at 11:54 am Reply

Okay Casper, do you really know what helically wrapped inclined planes with #2 Phillips heads, are ?

• Casper March 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm Reply

Service Danes are smart. 🙂

3. Linda March 23, 2016 at 11:31 pm Reply

Another teachable moment! Well done Everyone!! Casper, you are a real treasure. Keep taking such good care of your family. 🐾😍🐾

• Casper March 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm Reply

I try. Dad makes it hard sometimes

4. Laura Fahey Hron March 23, 2016 at 4:11 pm Reply

Casper, you are going to have to learn how to retrieve those cards out of your vest and distribute those for yourself since apparently dad gets easily distracted with his “man toys”.

• Casper March 25, 2016 at 4:35 pm Reply

I know, Right? – Woof!

5. hilda March 23, 2016 at 1:45 pm Reply

Maybe you’ll see them again in the big box store and dad can ask for a play date. You’re such a good boy, Casper! ❤

• Casper March 25, 2016 at 4:35 pm Reply

Maybe…

6. Sharon kbtz-AZ March 23, 2016 at 12:49 pm Reply

Yep, Casper, I agree….dad missed a prime opportunity to give out your card. But, you know how men are when they are in the toy, oops, tool dept…..everything else disappears from their minds. Hopefully you will find another dane to play with one day soon. Thank you, my Little Ghost, for taking such good care of your family.

• Casper March 25, 2016 at 4:37 pm Reply

I guess it’s like the pet isle in a store that has toys and chews right at my level. Distractions! 🙂