Advertisements

SDP Retreat in Brief

Hi Friends –

You know I have to share my thoughts about our recent SDP outing. The day couldn’t get started fast enough for me. I know that Dad doesn’t get anywhere the number of naps I do in a day so I let him sleep in a couple hours longer than I do during the week. I also knew that we’d be driving and that can be stressful. If you’ve ever been on the Mass Pike to I-95, you know what I mean. Oh My Dog! I think half of the drivers need a nap and the other half need to pick a better time for a nap than when they hit the road. Seriously, people; we saw no less than three cars facing the wrong way in the median. Here’s a tip from a Dane who has full time 4xPAW drive. When it’s wet it’s really hard to run full speed and not wipe out. It’s like taking a nice long drink, drooling all over a tile floor and then trying to chase down a cat without gettin’ sideways; not likely.

I know where I am when we hit the curve on the exit ramp to SDP and I make Dad put my window down so I can stick my head out and get all the sniffs I can. Maybe it’s a dog thing. I have noticed that I hardly see humans with their heads out the window. I’ve asked Dad and he said that my nose is better equipped than people noses to pick up scents. I said he should try being a dog for a day. He didn’t seem interested; I have no idea why. Dad changed the subject. (Maybe it’s the butt sniff thing? Is that it?) Mom and Dad told me that this would be a special day because so many people were there to greet me from all over. “Ah, my adoring public,” I exclaimed. I was so excited to run up to everyone I saw, but I was reminded that I needed to mind my manors and stay close today. I was looking forward to a romp in the pond with Ivy or Mariah but after seeing all the activity on the farm I agreed to stay put.  I was ready to help Dad navigate the puddles, until I saw Grandma Luna that is. I was just so excited to see her looking so fit and trim, and besides, Dad’s a professional at taking a tumble and bouncing back. Sometimes I forget he’s not a Dane, other times I think he wants to do movie stunts. It’s pretty funny sometimes, have you seen it? What? Geez, I’m always there to pick him up and walk-on. I really love my job and I don’t want to get fired. I mean really, if you knew how much of my week I spent napping…oh…uh…this gig is HARD!

I’m sure we didn’t get a chance to meet each of you personally and if you wanted to, and did not stop us, you should have! Dad sometimes forgets to network, but he’s getting so much better at accepting his role as C.P.O. (Chief Paw Officer). That’s probably the reason Mom took my lead for a bit and let Dad hide out a bit. He said while I was with Mom he was talking to a new applicant. They had all sorts of questions and he’s always happy to talk your ear off about “the service.” Dad said they were brave to pick such a busy weekend. I really hope they get approved, Dad said they were really nice so I’m sure they will fit into the family with no problem.

He and Mom wouldn’t let me get a growl in most of the way home. (And I was napping, I was dog tired.)  I shared a new plan Dad and I talked about on the way to work the next day. I think we should have a “Friends of Casper the Friendly Dane” receiving line. That would have been a tail-wager! Imagine it, Mom, Dad and I getting to meet everyone! It could have been like a book signing with personal pawtographs and pictures and of course pets! I think we may have something here… maybe next time. I really thought that’s what the big chair was about, but it was just the puparazzi again. Dad read Daily Doggie to me and Carlene is hinting that she may be open to another pilgrimage next year! I’m already excited! Megan, get our table ready!

All joking aside, I really have to say that every human we met was so nice. I felt how much you loved each of us and it was pawsome! I know that without the love and support of each of you I wouldn’t be able to do what I do. Mom and Dad are continuously surprised by the joys in our lives that have been bestowed upon them. We can only imagine what this path will hold, and we’re anxious to walk it together.

casper on giant chair

In case you missed this on his FB page (why are you not on his FB page?!?!)

written by DFS
Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “SDP Retreat in Brief

1. Diane B Stern October 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm Reply

Enjoyed seeing you & your family on the Explore cam at the retreat. Hope to make it next year & meet you & ALL your cousins.

2. Nancy Nyberg-Pennel October 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm Reply

That is so cool you had a good time. Too bad the weather was a bit nasty and you are right some humans shouldn’t be on the road. Your dad is pretty smart about that. Glad you had a good time and got to meet a lot of people. I hope that Jeanine gets one of your cousins and she enjoys her/him as much as your dad and mom do. Keep up the good work…… You are a Great Dane, sweet Casper

3. Jeanine Reilly October 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm Reply

Hi Casper,
    I’m the new SDP applicant that you mentioned above. I loved meeting you and your family!

Sunday was my first visit to the farm, and I was knocked out by the human’s open caring for dogs and people.
    I met little pups who napped in a big pile! I met 3 month olds who……napped in a big pile! They were so sweet.
    The hands down high point of my day, however, was while I was sitting chatting and either you or your cousin–I’m a bit confused–came over, and without preamble parked a set of hindquarters on my knee! A Dane chose to sit on MY lap!
    It was then that I felt accepted by people and dogs on the farm.
    Thanks,Casper, for sniffing my hand.
    Hope I’m able to have “somedog” like you in my life!
    Jeanine

• casperthedane October 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm Reply

That is so great!! Dan was really happy to get to talk to you. I (Lauri) and sorry that I didn’t get to chat with you more. I had to be on Casper socializing duty! lol
      If it wasn’t Casper on your lap (and I don’t think it was) then it was a cousin. They are pretty much all cousins and I know his mom would not have done that. She (Chaos) is a bit of a diva.

We never knew how great it was go own a Dane until Casper came to us. We loved them from afar, but never imagined our life with one. Now we can’t imagine our life without one. You have to have a sense of humor, that is for sure, and the laughs are some of the best parts of it. We just love our boy SO much. You didn’t get to meet our girls, but you should see them with him. It is so sweet. I think we will be back on October 27th with kids in tow to see the new pups (if we can).

• Casper October 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm Reply

Jeanine, I’m so happy that you found the blog! I have no doubt that your perfect partner is on their way to you. Enjoy the blog and Facebook. If you have questions we can help answer don’t hesitate to ask.

4. nomoreplanes October 8, 2013 at 11:53 am Reply

Ohhhhhh my Dog, I missed you??? I as there on Saturday.

5. Linda Craig October 8, 2013 at 10:49 am Reply

Glad you enjoyed your adventure at SDP on Sunday! So many people were excited to meet such a handsome and distinguished secret service Dane. ❤️ Be careful your dad doesn’t get hurt when you cause him to try new acrobatics. Keep working and blogging, Casper!🐾😘🐾

6. Shaye Walsh (@simplyshayew) October 8, 2013 at 10:25 am Reply

Hey, I can’t seem to find an email address. Can you email me back to ask you a question?
    –Shaye