Advertisements

Roadtrip: The Final Chapter

Hi Friends –

I have one more story that I wanted to share with you from our recent vacation in Oklahoma. This day was about family and adventure. You know I’m all in with that in mind but I’m a curious pup so I asked where we were headed. Mom said it’s a place called Woolaroc. She said we are meeting family there, like my Aunt Hollie and my cousins, among others, and we’ll spend the day exploring. I said that sounds like fun but what is it? She explained Woolaroc was the ranch retreat of oilman Frank Phillips (as in Phillips 66). The ranch is a 3,700 acre wildlife preserve. You’ll see other animals there. There’s also a museum. We all thought that sounded like fun but I asked, where would we see wooly-rocks? Mom said no, no, it’s called Woolaroc, it came from three words—the woods, lakes and rocks that make up Osage Hills. I said Oh OK, sure? Then there are no wooly-rocks? I exhaled in jowl flapping exasperation and lay down.

We drove from Nanny and Baboo’s to Grandma Patti’s house on the edge of the Osage territory. It was another great place where I felt really free. Dad liked the area too, I could tell.

I had more questions, but Dad’s used to that. I asked dad why her family has so many parents. So far there is Nanny Judy, Nana Mary, and Grandma Patti? This is more confusing than my family tree. Patti is Mom’s birth-mom. He told me that Mom was lucky enough to be adopted and to know her birth Momma as well as other family additions. I understand, I said. It’s like when dogs can’t stay with their families for whatever the reason but we find others to adopt us and our pack expands. It’s very cool because there is so much love on this plane, and it’s nice that we all get to share so much love. It all makes my tail wag.

The day comes for our excursion and we load-up in the truck with the family including Grandma Patti. It was a quick trip to the reserve. When we arrive, the tour started with a drive through the property where we get to enjoy a path guided driving tour where we see all sorts of animals who are resident just a few on the list are American Bison (buffalo), elk (wapiti) and longhorn cattle, which are truly native to this area as well as North European fallow deer, water buffalo, llamas, aoudads, ostriches. There was even a Zebu (zebra/horse)!!! The preserve animals are wild, so we needed to stay in the truck until we could safely park. I really wanted to play with a Buffalo; they look like they’d play a really good game of bitey-face.

We made it to the parking area and then we meet Mom’s Aunt and some cousins. They were all nice and pet me, but there was one tiny baby pup. How exciting right? I know!  The baby spent all of its time being carried around by the other humans. They did a great job watching out for him and I made sure he was safe too. There were a few times during the day when I got in a few really good sniffs. I don’t know if you guys know this but human puppies smell really good! I even took the chance to lick the puppy’s toes.   The people enjoyed the museum and the lodge. It was OK but I had to work so I just wanted to pull dad through to make sure he was safe. Dad told later that he wished I had slowed down a bit more, especially to see Frank’s collection of Colt guns. He told me later that it includes several of the very first revolving cylinder repeating weapons made in the United States and traces the development of Colt firearms. Colt started in Connecticut where Dad was born and he likes that stuff. Sorry Dad.

The part I wanted to see the most was the petting zoo. I thought there was going to be people lined up there to pet me! Boy was I wrong! They had other animals there in pens that were getting all my pets. There was this one furry there that was really big; a llama, dad said. Let me tell you, that one did not like me. So much so, that when it starred me down Dad and I took a seat inside the door and waited for the others to be done visiting. Dad and Mom thought it was really funny, but the Llama really wanted me out. I minded my manners, sat on Dad’s lap and took my exit as soon as I could. I didn’t even make eye contact with that thing. Trust me, that was one scary llama!

After Woolaroc, we went back to the house and visited with Patti and Stan for a bit until everyone we spent the day with came over for dinner. The best part was that the tiny human puppy came back to with his Daddy so I was able to get more sniffs and licks in. Some people don’t like me close to human puppies but we were all on our best behavior. The puppy’s Dad even asked us to take a picture together. I don’t usually like the pupparazzi but I made an exception for the puppy and his cowboy Dad. Really you guys, a cowboy! He had the hat, boots and real buckle. Mom says that on weekends he does something called the rodeo. It sounds fun! He loved me, of course, I’m almost as big as his horse! I’d like to play with a horse. SDP boards a couple so I bet we’d be friends, but I didn’t get the chance to ask.

The next morning we started our two day trip home but I will have memories to last a lifetime. I really do hope that we will be able to get back there soon. I know it was a long time on the road but with all the love and hospitality of Mom’s family it will be hard to stay away. This really was a great time. I hope you enjoyed me sharing.

written by DFS
Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “Roadtrip: The Final Chapter

1. Tina Bridwell Hensley September 17, 2013 at 11:52 am Reply

Casper, I remember when you were born, and your markings are so dramatic, I couldn’t wait to see you fully grown. Now here you are, an amazing service dog. What a credit to SDP you are. I’ve enjoyed reading about your road trip. I live in the Tulsa OK area, and are very familiar with the places you mentioned. I would have been so surprised if our paths had crossed. I’m not sure I would have been able to convince myself that it was really Casper from SDP. Of course with your unique markings. who else could it be?!
    Keep up the good work! I can’t wait to follow your progress.

• casperthedane September 17, 2013 at 11:54 am Reply

Ah! Too bad we didn’t cross paths! I (Lauri) grew up in BA! We will be back many times. 🙂

• Tina Bridwell Hensley September 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm

BA is my hometown too! 1976 grad. Living in Owasso now. SO glad your visit home was good.

• casperthedane September 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

All the BEST people are from BA!! (Dan gets really irritated that I constantly talk up all the great peeps from Oklahoma!) My parents went to BAHS in the 60s, my brother in the 80s and me in the 90s. My nephew is a junior there this year. The high school is CRAZY big!!! I grew up right next to the original high school, now North, and remember the old college that was in the middle of campus. Good old days.

Oh, and a friend of mine was at a BA/Owasso football game a couple weeks ago and met Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood!

2. Skylarblu (@skylarblu) September 5, 2013 at 7:21 pm Reply

HELLO CASPER:

I am so glad you and you family had a great vacation. I think it is great how ones feels like they are right there with you, because you give such great details. I especially like how you describe the things that are new to you and me. with the way you explain things i fee like i have visited a new place too. it was like i went on a i think it is called a arm chair vacation. thanks again. can’t wait to go on exploring with you. and i love watching rodeos on tv, but you got to see a real genuine cowboy…lucky you!!

3. Diane B Stern September 5, 2013 at 10:47 am Reply

Casper, you & your family had wonderful adventures in OK. Just loved reading about them. Hope you get back to OK soon. Maybe even make friends with the llama. Have a safe trip home.

4. Catherine McGerray September 4, 2013 at 8:29 pm Reply

Hello Casper. I loved your road travel tails. You are one lucky puppy to get to go on fun trips. I can’t wait to read the next installment of your blog. Sweet dreams.

5. Lo Warley-Thatcher September 4, 2013 at 2:21 pm Reply

You are so right Casper….adoption is love shared! So glad you didn’t get too close to that llama. Dogs drool but llamas spit! Keep up the good work my friend!

6. maryeleek September 4, 2013 at 2:20 pm Reply

Oh, Casper, what a wonderful road trip you’ve enjoyed with your mom, dad, and human puppies. The love of a family is the best and it sounds like you experienced it in heaps. I’m also so proud of you for taking such good care of everyone, especially your dad. You are learning your job so quickly. Love you, sweet Casper. Have a safe trip home.

7. Mary Frazier September 4, 2013 at 1:12 pm Reply

My great dane, Nikos, used to want to play with the llamas in a nearby field when we lived in California. Every time we walked past their field, they all came over to the fence to stare at him. I don’t think Nikos was used to animals larger that he was, and perhaps they were thinking that he was just a very small llama. He always seemed disappointed when we had to leave their fence and continue our walk, but a dane needs his exercise, right? Perhaps if Mom and Dad got you your very own llama it would be friendlier. Just teasing, Mom and Dad, a great dane is a large enough animal for you. Nikos also used to love human puppies. Our granddaughter, now 16, still remembers using him as a pillow when he would lay on the floor next to her when she was just three. She just had to watch out for that loving tongue. Thanks for all your wonderful stories. Reading your blog is the second thing I do when I get on the computer in the morning (Daily Doggie is the first). You make me happy.

• casperthedane September 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm Reply

Uh oh, I hope Dad doesn’t read this. Mom and the human puppies would LOVE an alpaca. And miniature donkeys. And rabbits. And maybe some goats. Problem is, we live in a condo!

8. Hilda September 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm Reply

Hi Casper, What a wonderful vacation you had. You met so many lovely relatives and had trips to a farm and a ranch with a petting zoo! How many people (and pups) can say they have relatives who live on a huge ranch with animals roaming free and a petting zoo?? You’re a lucky pup! Sounds like the whole family had a wonderful time. I know it’s a long car ride back home, but I’m sure you’ll have some more adventures along the way. I’m looking forward to your next story blog; always fun and interesting….never a dull moment. Take some catnaps, OOPS, I mean puppy naps in the truck on the way home so you’ll be nice and refreshed and ready for the week ahead. Love you, Casper! ❤

9. Sharon September 4, 2013 at 11:23 am Reply

What a wonderful experience for everyone. I’m so proud of you, Casper. But perhaps next time you are touring an exhibit you will remember to slow down so Dad has time to read about the items instead of barely getting a glimpse.
    Think it was a wise move to not stare down the Llama…..they can spit!
    Love and hugs to all, big and small.

10. bobbity212 September 4, 2013 at 10:33 am Reply

Great story, Casper! I love hearing about you and your family going far and wide. Keep writing, you’re really good at it. XO

11. Nancy Nyberg-Pennell September 4, 2013 at 10:01 am Reply

Casper so happy you had a great time and got to meet everyone even a human puppy and a nasty llama. Sometimes it’s not your fault, I met a nasty llama before and it didn’t like me either. Sounds like all your humans loved meeting you and you them. Just think of all the good memories on your 1st road tripe before you were 1 years old. Happy Trails Casper and Humans.

• casperthedane September 4, 2013 at 10:38 am Reply

Mom liked the llama. She was scratching it’s chin and it was kicking it’s leg like a dog! But I decided not to change meeting him. He didn’t seem to like dogs much.

12. Laura F. Hron - TX September 4, 2013 at 9:36 am Reply

Casper you sound like you had a wonderful time on your roadtrip and you learned a lot, especially that everyone pretty much loves you. So glad that you took care of Dad on the trip and watched out for the human puppies too. Also glad you got to sniff the little tiny human puppy too. They smell pretty good too, just like dane puppies. Also sounds like mom has a wonderful big family that you were lucky enough to meet. You are such a good boy Casper and I know that mom and dad were so proud of you.